Time is running out to enter the 3rd Annual C&R Oscar Contest! Entries after Thursday, February 20th, 2013 at 11:59:59PM EST will not be accepted. If you haven’t entered yet … what are you waiting for?! Simply cast your ballot NOW and you’ll be entered to win this year’s prize: A Movie Watcher’s Prize Pack (valued at approx. $15!). The prize pack includes a Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital copy of M. Night Shyamalan’s hit film, The Last Airbender and an assortment of theater-inspired popcorn and candies! Tune in to watch the 85th Annual Academy Awards on February 24th, 2013.
Attention Biggest C&R Loser 2013 Contestants! Your first photo and blurb are due on Wednesday at 6pm EST. Please also record your weight in this year’s spreadsheet or send me your starting weight. Check the revised BC&RL 2013 page for this week’s details.
This Year’s Contestants:
Adam, Mikey, Mr. Sombrero, Michelle M., Tam, Polt, Nathan & TwoPi!
In a comment on last week’s Have You Ever?! quiz, Tam lamented, “Nothing pisses me off more than baggers who put 3 items in every bag. I put it on the conveyor belt grouped by item so is it really so hard to put them in the bag in that order. All the frozen stuff in one, cans in another? Is that difficult? Especially now that I have to pay .5 per bag. I have been known to compliment checkers on their bagging skills if they do a great job. Okay, it would appear I have issues. Deep breath.”
Never have I seen a Canadian get so enraged over something so trivial. Perhaps they aren’t really as nice as they seem … they’re just experts at bottling up their fury? From this idea (and from Mikey’s suggestion), a super-sneaky Have You Ever?! quiz was born. Instead of contacting Tam and asking her to make us a list … we simply stalked her Twitter account and easily amassed a list of 25 things that annoy her. I think you’ll get a kick out of them! (Just don’t kick her … that might annoy her too!) You know the rules: For each question that you answer ‘yes’ to, give yourself a single point. When you reach the end of the quiz, add up your points and post your total in the comments.
Have You Ever?!
1. Have you ever manufactured malfunctioning oven timers?
2. Have you ever confused Tam, causing her to put the wrong date on a review post?
3. Have you ever been responsible for political ads on the TV and radio?
4. Have you ever forced Tam to attend riding lessons every Sunday?
5. Have you ever used the term “pelt” on humans?
6. Have you ever not called Tam back when she was on a deadline?
7. Have you ever been the cause of Tam’s bursitis in her should?
8. Have you ever rescheduled Canadian buses as a way to cut spending?
9. Have you ever designed a phone that only holds a charge for 6 hours or less?
10. Have you ever charged $8.50 for a litre of Evian in a hotel room?
11. Have you ever been the cause of a mess of papers on Tam’s desk?
12. Have you ever required Tam to visit the DMV?
13. Have you ever shot the messenger because you were pissed off over the fact that your supervisor is waaaaaay overstepping her bounds?
14. Have you ever been slow to deliver pizza?
15. Have you ever done anything to Tam that would cause her upper earring to hurt and her ear to burn?
16. Have you ever caused Tam’s throat to hurt when she swallows? (Polt, stop laughing.)
17. Have you ever taken Tam shopping?
18. Have you ever been the cause of disorganization?
19. Have you ever been responsible for briefing notes?
20. Have you ever been to blame for a headache directly over Tam’s left eye?
21. Have you ever hidden Tam’s business cards?
22. Have you ever been the muse behind one of Tam’s big blog promos?
23. Have you ever caused Tam’s Outlook to jam up by creating or utilizing an electronic storage system for filing?
24. Have you ever manufactured cat food that was so delicious that it caused Tam’s cat to ‘pig it down’ and then vomit it back up before even stepping away from the dish?
25. Have you ever dripped rain off the roof outside Tam’s patio doors and caused her to be annoyed by the sound and liken it to Chinese water torture?
I’m guessing that most people will score rather low on this quiz. But be warned if you score more than a few points… Everyone’s favorite Canadian may rain down on you with a shower of rage that’s unlike anything the world has ever seen. Or she may just tweet about it and smile. Share your quiz results in the comments!
Many of you know that I work as a graphic artist in the newspaper business. While my office doesn’t really resemble the newspaper offices that you see on TV and in the movies (constant hustle and bustle, a screaming editor, papers flying everywhere), we still operate under tight and strict deadlines. If the paper is late and we miss our press time, it can cost the company a lot of money. And with the dwindling newspaper market and the current economy, I don’t want to be responsible for that. Outside of work, I’m almost always on the move. Whether it’s my weekly volunteer work, freelance projects, blogging, and splitting my free time between my boyfriend, my family and the rest of my friends… I’m always putting myself under pressure to do more, more, MORE!
But I know that I’m not that special. Everyone faces countless stresses each day, and somehow we all seem to survive. This post isn’t about how I cool down after a stressful situation. Everyone knows that exercise, meditation, relaxation, resting, and all that other crap are great ways to deal with stress after-the-fact. This blog post is about how I behave during stressful situations.
I like to think that I always remain completely focused under pressure. And in reality, I am actually quite good at focusing my energy and skills on the task at hand. That is, until someone or something breaks my focus. When I’m very busy at work, it drives me crazy when people stand next to my desk and chit chat about stupid things. I’m busy and I don’t care about your dumb children or what your plans for the weekend are. It’s going to snow?! Seriously?! I don’t care. There are better places to talk about your stupid life than right next to my desk.
There’s a old family heirloom that’s been passed down from generation to generation, which I usually keep hidden deep within me. It’s my crazy, lunatic, fire-breathing, Earth-scorching temper. Growing up and seeing this temper manifest itself in other family members, I’ve always vowed that it would never escape. When I’m stressed out, I can feel the steam escaping from my ears. The fire bubbling up within my chest. My vision turns red. My body temperature raises… but that’s it. In my adult life, I don’t think it’s ever made it any further. It pounds on the exit door, but it has never manifested itself in words or actions. People say that keeping these emotions bottled up inside isn’t good for you. Trust me, it is good for you.
USE LOTS OF PROFANITY
Okay, so my temper doesn’t really escape, but little spurts of steam may occasionally escape from the boiling kettle that is my mouth. I like to curse. Some people view a person with a foul mouth as uneducated and unrefined. I like to think of it as just another way to express myself. And when I’m stressed, dropping a few F-bombs here and there helps. I’ve also been referring to a lot of people as ‘sluts’ a lot lately. While driving: “GET OUT OF MY WAY, YOU STUPID SLUT!!!!” I’m not really sure when and why that started happening…
EAT, EAT, EAT!
It’s not really conducive to our weight loss competition, but I often stress eat. I also depression eat, happiness eat, Wednesday eat, morning eat, afternoon eat, evening eat, rainy day eat, sunny day eat, cloudy day eat, and sometimes I just eat. I may not look that fat, but my exterior self is constantly at war with my 800lb interior self. And as I’m stressing my way through life, it’s hard not to just eat everything in sight.
I can’t remember the last deadline that I’ve missed, but that’s not to say that I don’t procrastinate. When I have a daunting freelance project to complete by the end of a day, I often spend most of that day watching TV, cleaning my house and napping. Then I work like a crazy person to finish the project right on time. All the while thinking of other ways to procrastinate.
And then I’ll start cursing, focusing, eating, getting angry, procrastinating more, and then cursing even more. I’m not saying that my methods are healthy… but I’ve lasted this long, so they can’t be that bad. So what do you do when you’re stressed? Run away? Ignore it? Cry? Pull out your own hair? Or maybe you never experience stress. You just float around on a cloud of happiness every day without a care in the world. If that’s the case, then please don’t bother commenting on this blog post. You’re a slut, and I fucking hate you! But if you’re like me and you experience stress in your life, then tell me all about what you do in the comments. I’ll catch up with you later — I gotta go find a snack…
Photos were all taken with Cameroid.com.