There are certain brands that I always buy or order because I think that they are superior. But am I just being blindly loyal or do I really think they are the best? The only way to know is to compare them with their competitors in a blind taste test. So Harry and I decided to do just that.
We started with citrus sodas.
We tested them blindfolded to get the full soda experience.
Michelle– did not like at all – it had a chemical, artificial taste
Harry – had more of an upfront sugary taste
Michelle – supersweet and articial
Harry – too sugary – not happy with that one
Michelle – has a weird aftertaste – not very citrusy
Harry – good – lemon-limey
Michelle – okay, I guess
Harry – sugary – not very good
So the winner was:
Harry – Sierra Mist
And the loser was:
Mello Yello. We both hated it.
Next up was soup – chicken noodle.
Except for the Organic brand, they all kinda looked the same.
Some definitely had bigger chunks of chicken and carrots.
Here is what we thought:
Michelle – had a weird herby taste? Maybe fennel. I hate fennel.
Harry – some saltiness, decent flavors, good
Michelle – had a canned taste and a sweetness – like caramelized onions
Harry – had a bright taste
Michelle – watery, no flavor, tasteless, needs LOTS of salt
Harry – a sharp, burnt taste, tastes like catfood, canned tuna, weird, blech
Michelle – had a weird taste – like dirt. It’s the worst!!
Harry – had a sharp, herb taste, pungent. It’s better than catfood.
Michelle – alright. The chicken was dry
Harry – the chicken was big, not as salty. The flavors come through.
And the winner was:
Soup in a box! We both chose the Organic brand
*Of course, the best chicken soup is my own not in the running homemade
(even when I forget to add in the celery).
Michelle – Campbell’s. The next day we got this coupon in the mail.
Maybe I should ask for a a refund…
Harry – Healthy Choice.
Which cracked me up because he bought a case of it at Costco.
We didn’t want to confuse out palates, so we saved salsa for last.
As you can see, Chachies is the brand we usually buy.
So how did our favorite measure up?
Michelle – good heat, too vinegary. I would not buy this.
Harry – was the spiciest heatwise – had strange tastes
Michelle – had a strong cilantro flavor. Not much heat. Was mushy in texture (except for some crunchy onion bits)
Harry – not too much tomato taste. Had more of a vinegar pickle relish taste
Michelle – tomatoey, nice heat. I like it.
Harry – Lots of tomato flavor. Not as hot as some of the others.
Michelle – Had an oregano or thyme? flavor
Harry – Had some heat, a vinegar taste, muddled flavors
Michelle – nice, had an herby taste, not much heat, tastes like something you’d get at a restaurant
Harry – okay. More herby than the others.
So which salsa came out ahead?
Just like Joanie, we love Chachies!
And we both rated Rojo’s last. Ay caramba.
So, do you have a favorite soda, soup or salsa? And are you sure?
Maybe you should have a taste test of your own…
Make sure to join us next time in the M. test kitchen as we taste the letter P!
If you’re like me, you’re always stopping by the local grocery store to pick up a few things. I’m probably there at least twice a week. They’re wonderful places that tout a huge selection of fresh produce, meats (if you’re into that sort of thing), dairy (ditto), packaged foods, health and beauty aids, and just about anything else that you can imagine. But what have you been up to at the grocery store? We’re about to find out.
You know the rules: For each question that you answer ‘yes’ to, give yourself a single point. When you reach the end of the quiz, add up your points and post your total in the comments.
Have You Ever?!
1. Have you ever worked at a grocery store?
2. Have you ever used the restroom at a grocery store?
3. Have you ever tasted food (grapes, bakery items, etc.) and not paid for it?
4. Have you ever accidentally swapped carts with another shopper?
5. Have you ever hit someone with your cart?
6. Have you ever just left your cart in the parking lot instead of returning it to a cart return or to the front of the store?
7. Have you ever realized that you didn’t have enough money to pay for your groceries at the check-out counter and had to select some items to leave out of your purchase?
8. Have you ever used an express line or self-checkout line with more than the allowed number of items?
9. Have you ever returned any items to a grocery store for a refund?
10. Have you ever purchased a big-ticket item (electronics, lawn furniture, etc.) from a grocery store?
11. Have you ever stolen something from a grocery store?
12. Have you ever broken something that required an employee to clean it up?
13. Have you ever purposefully broken or damaged merchandise at a grocery store?
14. Have you ever knocked over a display at a grocery store?
15. Have you ever consumed a meal inside a grocery store (whether or not they had a prepared food and seating area)?
16. Have you ever avoided someone that you know at a grocery store so you didn’t have to talk to them?
17. Have you ever purchased discounted merchandise at a grocery store that is nearly spoiled or expired?
18. Have you ever abandoned merchandise where it doesn’t belong at a grocery store?
19. Have you ever hid an embarrassing item (condoms, hemorrhoid cream, etc.) under other items in your cart?
20. Have you ever gotten a rain check at a grocery store?
21. Have you ever knowingly tried to use expired coupons at a grocery store?
22. Have you ever been the cause of a checkout line slow-down (Price check, unusual coupon, unreadable bar code, etc.)?
23. Have you ever yelled at a grocery store employee?
24. Have you ever asked a grocery store employee or another customer out on a date?
25. Have you ever had (any form of) sex in a grocery store?
It’s time to fess up! Tell us your total in the comments.